Collection of information
Comparison collects information about you in multiple ways:
- User Registration: When you register we will ask you to provide certain information about yourself. This information may include user ID, email address and address.
- Ratings, Reviews and User Content: You may choose to provide ratings, reviews or submit information for publishing on the Comparison website or associated social sites, which we may or may not choose to publish in full or part of the information you provide.
- Short List: When you create a short list you may choose to provide additional information to your user registration. This may include your name, address and products you are interested in.
- Cookies/IP Addresses: Comparison collects information about individuals using the Comparison web site through Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. An IP address is a number that is unique to the computer through which you are connected to the Internet.
- Web Beacons: Comparison usesÂ Web Beacons whichÂ is a page element invisible to you which collects anonymous data and sends it either to us or a third party for example Google.
- Email Enquiries: When you send an email enquiry to a retailer through the Comparison site. This may include your name, email address and the enquiry you make.
- Purchases: When you purchase a product from Comparison we will ask you to provide information including your name, address, telephone number and email address to enable us to supply the product you have purchased. When you purchase a U-NITED Warranties Product Care plan from Comparison, we will ask you to provide details of the product you are purchasing a Product Care plan for.
The Comparison website uses “cookies” to assign identification to your computer. Cookies are small pieces of information that are stored by your web browser on your computer’s hard drive. Cookies allow a website to store and reference specific types of information while you are visiting it, and to keep your session “live” when you are logged in. Comparison cookies contain no personal information or financial information. You may change your browser preferences to prevent or automatically accept cookies.
Comparison collects statistical and demographical information on site visitors that is aggregated. This aggregated information does not identify you personally. This aggregated data is provided to advertisers, users and other third parties for marketing, promotional and content generation purposes.
Use of information by Comparison
Comparison may use information it collects from you for the primary purpose for which it was collected. Comparison may also use the information for other secondary purposes that are related to the primary purpose of collection.
Comparison uses the information provided by you to:
- Provide you with products or services you have requested,
- Personalise and customise your experiences on Comparison,
- Help Comparison manage and enhance its services,
- Communicate with you,
- To send your email enquiry to a retailer and report on the enquiries made to a retailer,
- Provide you with ongoing information that Comparison believes you may be interested, and
- Give you the opportunity from time to time to receive e-mail or to visit the site to benefit from additional features, functions and information.
Who will see or have access to your information?
We may disclose your personal information to organisations outside Comparison and our related companies for purposes relating to the management of your account with us. Such organisations include: our banks or third party supplier for securing payment of the products or services we provided to you; service providers who manage or review the services provided to you; mailing systems which organise delivery of the products you have purchased; live help service providers, maintenance and repair services; delivery service providers; market research; and our professional advisers, accountants, lawyers, auditors and where applicable credit report agencies or debt collectors.
We require these organisations to maintain the confidentiality of your personal information and also seek to ensure that they adhere to the National Privacy Principles. These service providers are not permitted to use your personal information for their own marketing purposes.
In addition, we may release your personal information under the following circumstances:
- when required to do so by a court or under applicable laws or regulation (for example, a subpoena) or where requested by a government agency;
- where we consider a company or an individual may be engaged in fraudulent activity or other deceptive practices that a governmental agency should be made aware of; and
- to appropriate persons, where your communication suggests possible harm to others.
If you purchase a U-NITED Warranties plan from Comparison as an agent for U-NITED Warranties, Comparison will provide to U-NITED Warranties the details of your purchase and the information required to register your Product Care plan with U-NITED Warranties. This information will include your name, address, email, contact details, details of the product to be covered by Product Care plan and details of the plan purchased.
Comparison may disclose to third parties aggregate anonymous statistics regarding our customers, sales, traffic analyses and other information regarding or collected through our websites and printed forms.
All of the customer information that is personally identifiable that we collected on our website is stored on a secure Comparison host server which is located in a restricted access area and is password protected.
Links to other sites; advertisments
Our websites may contain advertisements and links to other websites (“Third Party Materials”). We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
Correcting and updating your information
You may gain access or update personal information that Comparison has collected about you by contacting us.